The School of Hospitality and Tourism Management at Oklahoma State University requires students to complete a practical, hands-on experience to balance the theoretical knowledge they acquire in the classroom.
This 320-hour internship exposes students to each department to offer a thorough knowledge of the business.
Upon completion of the training, each student will be evaluated using the Student Internship Performance Evaluation Form provided by the school. Students will be graded based upon the evaluation.
- Allow the student to work 320 hours of hands-on experience and expose the student to various management aspects of the industry.
- Keeping practical considerations in mind, expose the student to as many management/departmental/functional areas of the hospitality industry as possible in order to prepare the student for management within the industry.
- Schedule the student according to company needs and supervise the student at each stage.
- Agree to a standard rate per hour of pay, regardless of department or duties assigned to the student during training.
- Complete the Student Internship Performance Evaluation form.
- Have documented 480 hours of work experience in the hospitality industry prior to internship
- Enroll in Hospitality Industry Internship course (HTM 3443).
- Be a good employee, ask questions, be observant, get involved and represent Oklahoma State University in a professional manner.
- Gain first-hand knowledge and apply management theory to analyze the practices of management in the industry.
- Demonstrate an attitude and demeanor of professionalism as a prospective manager in the hospitality industry.
- Complete 320 hours of internship training and complete requirements outlined in the course syllabus.
- Complete course assignments such as goals and objective report, orientation and training report, weekly journals, management interview and final internship report.