Careers and internships
What are the advantages of a Career in Finance?
The career opportunities in the field of finance are many and varied. A career in finance is interesting, challenging, flexible and offers excellent compensation. Many top executives have succeeded because of their education and experience in finance.
What makes you successful
- can think analytically to solve problems
- can make decisions
- communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- like to work with other people and on teams
- can grasp details as well as the big picture
Finance career examples
The opportunities broadly fall into two areas, financial services and corporate finance. The financial services area encompasses offering advice and products to individuals, business and government. Examples, include commercial banking, financial planning, money management, insurance and real estate. Corporate finance applies to any type of business or governmental organization, either for-profit and not-for-profit large or small, public or private. Examples include financial analysis, cash management, credit analysis, capital budgeting, and risk management.
- Commercial Banking
Includes opportunities in branch level jobs, leasing, credit card banking international finance and trade credit. More people are employed in this area than any other part of the financial services industry.
- Corporate Finance
Careers in this area mean that you would work for a company to help find money to run the business, grow the business, make acquisitions, plan for its financial future and manage any cash on-hand.
- Money Management
Money managers hold stocks and bonds for institutional clients and are on the buy side of Wall Street.
- Financial Planning
Financial planners understand investments, taxes, and estate planning issues in order to help individuals plan their financial futures.
Jobs in insurance involve helping individuals and businesses manage risk to protect themselves from catastrophic losses and to anticipate potential risk problems.
- Investment Banking
Helping companies and governments issue securities, help investors purchase securities, manage financial assets, trade securities and provide financial advice.
- Real Estate
Titles include title insurance, construction, mortgage banking, property management, real estate appraisals, brokerage and leasing real estate development and corporate real estate.
Prepare for a career in finance
- Receive a strong foundation in accounting and economics, which are the basis for financial decisions and analyses
- Develop the ability to communicate through class presentations and written assignments.
- Take courses in financial management investments, international finance, real estate investment and finance, bank management, risk management, financial markets, portfolio management and insurance.
- Develop critical thinking skills through the analysis of realistic case problems and playing business computer simulations games.
- Learn to work with other people through team projects.
- Have the opportunity to gain practical experience through internships in businesses.
- Gain experience in using computers and other technology to solve problems.
- Interact with faculty and other Finance students through student organizations such as the OSU Student Chapter of the Financial Management Association.