- Spears Home
- About Us
- Events & Programs
- 2023 Entrepreneurial Learning Activities
- Business Plan Competition
- Experience Expo
- Fail Up Night
- Pitch and Poster Competition
- Riata Faculty Fellows Program
- Riata Reverse Pitch Challenge
- The Riata Project
- Startup Weekend
- Tulsa Startup Series
- Veteran's Entrepreneurship Program
- White Box
- Student-led Initiatives
- Student Resources
- Student Resources
- Riata Pre-Seed Fund
- Study Abroad
- Institute for Free Enterprise & Entrepreneurship
- CIE Scholars Program
- OSU I-Corps
- Event Request Information
- Patent and Trademark Resource Center (OSU Library)
- Oklahoma State University Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- Other Resources
- Contact Us
Riata Business Plan Competition
The Riata Business Plan Competition is the premier business plan competition hosted by The School of Entrepreneurship and the Riata Center for Entrepreneurship. The competition is open to all Oklahoma State University students of any discipline with or without business experience. The goal of the competition is to promote entrepreneurship and small business development by focusing on student created, managed, and owned ventures. Students are provided with expert feedback and the opportunity to win cash prizes to help fund their ventures.
The 2020 Competition will have three tracks for participants to choose from.
- Main Street Lifestyles: This category is for small business startups whose products or services are readily available to the general public. Business in this category may have a brick and mortar location or run a retail operation completely online. Main Street businesses innovate through execution and differentiation strategies.
- High Tech Business: This category is for high tech startups that have some sort of intellectual property at the core of their technology offerings. Businesses in this category will usually have patents to disclose or have a unique offering that can scale into large industries. High Tech businesses innovate through technology and go-to-market strategies.
- Social Enterprise: This category is for social endeavors that are trying to develop, fund, and implement solutions to social, cultural or environmental issues. Business in this category can focus on either domestic or international issues in an attempt to better society.
November 22, 2019 – Intent to Compete Due
- All applicants must be registered StartupTree users. Simply signup by following the registration link provided HERE. Tell us who you are, what you do, and what track you would like to compete in. (limited to one track).
- Please review our Business Plan Competition Guidelines for more information.
December 15, 2019 – 10-Page Business Plan Submission Deadline
- All entrants must submit a 10-page business plan to the Riata Center for Entrepreneurship at firstname.lastname@example.org. (late submissions will not be accepted)
January 15, 2020 – Top 15 Finalist Announced
- Judges will review all business plans and based on specific criteria, the top 15 finalists will be announced to compete in the Riata Business Plan Competition Finals on January 31, 2020.
January 31, 2020 – Riata Business Plan Competition Finals
- Finalists present their business plans in a 10-minute presentation to a group of judges followed directly by a 10-minute Q&A. Winners will be announced at the awards reception following the conclusion of the competition.
2018 Competition Winners
Main Street Lifestyles Winners:
- First Place: Groundwater Explorer – Afshin Aghayan
- Second Place: Infinite Prints, LLC – Pete Craver, Daniel Woodruff, and Austin Patton
- Third Place: I Am – Marissa Commey and Imani McGill
Big City High Tech Winners:
- First Place: Contraire, Brooks Robison and Rabecca Wiseman
- Second Place: One-Voice – Hossein Khaleghian
- Third Place: xybaGold – Steve Trost
Social Enterprise Winners:
- First Place: Strides – Rachel Brown
- Second Place: I(k)new – Queena Smith
- Third Place: Eco-Consulting – ShawnDea Dunzy
For More Information
Please contact Chad Mills at the Riata Center for Entrepreneurship, by phone: 405-744-7552 or by email: email@example.com.