- About Us
- About Us - Home
- Power of Personal
- Academic Departments
- Offices & Centers
- Deans & Leadership Team
- Honors and Awards
- Rankings and Recognitions
- About William S. Spears
- Map and Directions
- Our Building
- POP Alert
- Core Curriculum
- Spears School A-Z
- Pete's Pet Posse
- Degree Programs
- Watson Graduate School
- Online Learning
- Breakout Room Reservation
- I Am Building Project
- Building Floor Plans
- Future Students
- Apply Now!
School of Marketing & International Business
Assistant Professor, Spears School of Business
TULSA, OK 74106
- Other, Duke University, Postdoctoral Researcher, 2015
- Ph D, UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO, Ontario, Canada, Social Psychology, 2012
- BA, Brock University, Ontario, Canada, Psychology, 2006
- Jamel Khenfer, Olivier Trendel, and Steven Shepherd. "Customer Empowerment in the Face of Perceived Incompetence: Effect on Preference for Anthropomorphized Brands". (Forthcoming).
- Steven Shepherd and Gavan J Fitzsimons. (2020). "Special Edition Packaging and its Negative Effects on Search and the Shopping Experience". Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice.
- Steven Shepherd, Aaron C Kay, and Kurt Gray. (2019). "Military Veterans are Morally Typecast as Heroic but Unfeeling: Implications for Veteran Employment". Organizational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes. (153), 73-88.
- Jae Yun Kim, Troy H Campbell, Steven Shepherd, and Aaron C Kay. "Understanding Contemporary Forms of Exploitation: Attributions of Passion Serve to Legitimize the Poor Treatment of Workers". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. ((in press)), 28.
- Steven Shepherd and Troy H Campbell. "The Effect of Egocentric Taste Judgments on Stereotyping of Welfare Recipients and Attitudes Toward Welfare Policy". Journal of Public Policy and Marketing (Forthcoming).
- Steven Shepherd and Troy H Campbell. (2018). "Differing Terms for the Peer-to-Peer Economy and Their Associations with Race, Morality, and Legitimacy". Marketing and Public Policy Conference Proceedings.
- Steven Shepherd and Aaron C Kay. "“’Jesus, Take the Wheel’: The Appeal of Spiritual Products in Satiating Concerns about Randomness". Journal of Marketing Management (Forthcoming).
- Steven Shepherd, Justin Friesen, Kristin Laurin, Danielle Gaucher, and Aaron Kay. (2018). "System Justification: Experimental Evidence, its Contextual Nature, and Implications for Social Change.". British Journal of Social Psychology.
- Steven Shepherd and Gavan J Fitzsimons. "Seeing Brands Through Rose-Colored Lenses: When Fear of Being Taken Advantage Of Leads to Increased Trust". Association for Consumer Research (Forthcoming).
- Steven Shepherd and Aaron Kay. (2018). "Guns as a Source of Order and Chaos: Compensatory Control and the Psychological (Dis)Utility of Guns for Liberals and Conservatives". Journal of the Association for Consumer Research. (3), 1, 16-26.
- Steven Shepherd and Devon Proudfoot. (2017). "“System Justification,” in The SAGE Encyclopedia of Political Behavior, ed. F. Moghaddam". Sage Publications, Inc..
- Steven Shepherd, R.P. Eibach, and A.C. Kay. (2017). "’One Nation Under God’: The System-Justifying Function of Symbolically Aligning God and Government". Politcal Psychology. (38), 5, 703-720.
- Steven Shepherd. (2016). "“Compensatory Institutional Trust: A ‘Dark Side’ of Trust,” in Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Trust". Springer; E. Shockley, T. M. S. Neal, Pytik Zillig, L. M. & Bornstein, B. H.(Eds.).
- Steven Shepherd, Aaron Kay, and Richard Eibach. (2015). "Achieving Existential Security Through Symbolically Fusing Secular and Religious Sources of Control and Order,” in Handbook of Personal Security". Taylor & Francis: Psychology Press: ed. A. Wichman, P. Carroll, & B. Arkin (Eds.), Taylor & Francis: Psychology Press.
- Steven Shepherd, Gavan Fitzsimons, and Tanya Chartrand. (2015). "When Brands Reflect our Ideal World: The Values and Brand Preference of Consumers who Support vs. Reject Society’s Dominant Ideology". Journal of Consumer Research. (42), 1, 76-92.
- Jillian Banfield, Steven Shepherd, and Aaron Kay. (2014). "Consequences of System Defense Motivations for Individuals’ Willingness to Act Sustainably,” in Multiple Selves: Angels, Demons, and Sustainable Behavior". London: Psychology Press: ed. H. van Trijp, London: Psychology Press.
- Simone Tang, Steven Shepherd, and Aaron Kay. (2014). "Do Difficult Decisions Motivate Belief in Fate? A Test in the Context of the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election". Psychological Science. (25), 4, 1046-1048.
- Steven Shepherd and Aaron Kay. (2014). "When Government Confidence Undermines Public Involvement in Modern Disasters". Social Cognition. (32), 3, 206-216.
- Steven Shepherd and Aaron Kay. (2012). "On the Perpetuation of Ignorance: System Dependence, System Justification, and the Motivated Avoidance of Socio-Political Information". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. (102), 2, 264-280.
- Steven Shepherd, Aaron Kay, Mark Landau, and Lucas Keefer. (2011). "Evidence for the Specificity of Control Motivations in Worldview Defense: Distinguishing Compensatory Control from Uncertainty Management and Terror Management Processes". Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. (47), 5, 949-958.
- Danu Stinson, Christine Logel, Steven Shepherd, and Mark Zanna. (2011). "Re-Writing the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy of Social Rejection: Self-affirmation Improves Relational Security and Social Behavior up to Two Months Later". Psychological Science. (22), 9, 1145-1149.
- Kristin Laurin, Aaron Kay, and Steven Shepherd. (2011). "Self-Stereotyping as a Route to System Justification". Social Cognition. (29), 2, 360-375.
- Aaron Kay, Steven Shepherd, Craig Blatz, Sook Chua, and Adam Galinsky. (2010). "For God (or) Country: The Hydraulic Relation between Government Instability and Belief in Religious Sources of Control". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. (99), 5, 725-739.
- Kristin Laurin, Steven Shepherd, and Aaron Kay. (2010). "Restricted Emigration, System Inescapability, and Defense of the Status Quo: System-Justifying Consequences of Restricted Exit Opportunities". Psychological Science. (21), 8, 1075-1082.
- Steven Shepherd and Kathryn Belicki. (2008). "Trait Forgiveness and Traitedness within the HEXACO Model of Personality". Personality and Individual Differences. (45), 5, 389-394.
Awards and Honors
- Best Paper Award (2017)
Academic, Military, and Professional Positions
- Oklahoma State University, Assistant Professor, Spears School of Business, August 2015
- Duke University, Instructor, 2014 - 2015
- Duke University, Teaching Assistant, 2012
- University of Waterloo, Teaching Assistant, 2008 - 2012
- Brock University, Teaching Assistant/Seminar Instructor, 2004 - 2007