Department of Finance
Associate Professor and ONEOK Chair
STILLWATER, OK 74078-4011
- Ph D, Anderson School of Management at UCLA, Finance, 2000
- Ph D, University of California at San Diego, Mathematics, 1995
- BS, Nankai University, China, Mathematics, 1990
- Xingjian Li, Hongrui Feng, Heng Wang, and Shu Yan. "Dispersion in Analysts' Target Prices and Stock Returns". North American Journal of Economics and Finance (Forthcoming).
- Yuecheng Jia, Yuzheng Liu, and Shu Yan. (2020). "Higher moments, extreme returns, and cross–section of cryptocurrency returns". Finance Research Letters.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2020). "Portfolio Selection with Mental Accounts: An Equilibrium Model with Endogenous Risk Aversion". Journal of Banking and Finance. (110),
- Shingo Goto, Zhao Wang, and Shu Yan. (2019). "Net Share Issuance and Asset Growth Effects: The Role of Managerial Incentives". Financial Analyst Journal. (76), 1, 63-81.
- Hongrui Feng and Shu Yan. (2019). "CEO Incentive Compensation and Stock Liquidity". Springer: Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting. (53), 4, 1069-1098.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2017). "Portfolio Selection with Mental Accounts and Estimation Risk". Journal of Empirical Finance. (41), 161-186.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2015). "On the Regulatory Responses to the Recent Crisis: An Assessment of the Basel Market Risk Framework and the Volcker Rule". Financial Markets, Institutions & Instruments. (24), 87-125.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2014). "Bank Regulation and International Financial Stability: A Case against the 2006 Basel Market Risk Framework". Journal of International Money and Finance. (43), 107-130.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2013). "A Comparison of the Original and Revised Basel Market Risk Frameworks for Regulating Bank Capital". Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization. (85), 249-268.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2012). "When More Is Less: Using Multiple Constraints to Reduce Tail Risk". Journal of Banking and Finance. (36), 2693-2716.
- Shu Yan. (2011). "Jump Risk, Stock Returns, and Slope of Implied Volatility Smile". Journal of Financial Economics. (99), 216-233.
- Pedro Santa-Clara and Shu Yan. (2010). "Crashes, Volatility, and the Equity Premium: Lessons from S&P 500 Options". Review of Economics and Statistics. (92), 435-451.
- Jiang George and Shu Yan. (2009). "Linear-Quadratic Term Structure Models - Toward the Understanding of Jumps in Interest Rate". Journal of Banking and Finance. (33), 473-485.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2009). "Reducing Estimation Risk in Portfolio Selection When Short Sales are Allowed". Managerial and Decision Economics. (30), 281-305.
- Gordon Alexander, Alexandre Baptista, and Shu Yan. (2007). "Mean-Variance Portfolio Selection with ‘at-Risk’ Constraints and Discrete Distributions". Journal of Banking and Finance. (31), 3761-3781.
- Walter Torous, Rossen Valkanov, and Shu Yan. (2004). "On Predicting Stock Returns with Nearly Integrated Explanatory Variables". Journal of Business. (77), 937-966.
- Robert Aliber, Bhagwan Chowdhry, and Shu Yan. (2003). "Some Evidence that a Tobin Tax on Foreign Exchange Transactions may Increase Volatility". Review of Finance. (7), 481-510.
- Richard Roll and Shu Yan. (2000). "An Explanation of the Forward Premium Puzzle". European Financial Management. (6), 121-148.
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Referee for Real Estate Economics (2014)
- Outstanding Paper in Financial Markets, Banking, and Institutions (2013)
- BankScope Prize (2012)
- Crowell Prize, second place (2009)
- Outstanding Paper in Investments (2007)
Academic, Military, and Professional Positions
- Oklahoma State University, Associate Professor and ONEOK Chair , July 2020
- Oklahoma State University, Associate Professor and Greg Massey Professorship , July 2017 - May 2020
- Oklahoma State University, Assistant Professor, July 2014 - June 2017
- University of South Carolina, Assistant Professor, July 2006 - June 2014
- University of South Carolina, Visiting Assistant Professor, July 2005 - June 2006
- University of Arizona, Assistant Professor, July 2000 - June 2005
- BADM 6000 (7 Semesters)
- FIN 3113 (4 Semesters)
- FIN 6053 (3 Semesters)
- FIN 6660 (4 Semesters)
- FIN 4763 (10 Semesters)
- FIN 5763 (5 Semesters)
|Fall 2021||BADM 6000||60340||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2021||FIN 3113||60053||Finance|
|Fall 2021||FIN 6053||71888||Financial Theory and Corporate Policy|
|Summer 2021||BADM 6000||40054||Research and Thesis|
|Summer 2021||BADM 6000||41978||Research and Thesis|
|Spring 2021||BADM 6000||20189||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2020||BADM 6000||60354||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2020||FIN 6053||70732||Financial Theory and Corporate Policy|
|Fall 2020||FIN 6660||70733||Empirical Methods|
|Spring 2020||FIN 3113||21257||Finance|
|Spring 2020||FIN 3113||21259||Finance|
|Fall 2019||BADM 6000||60391||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2019||FIN 3113||60064||Finance|
|Fall 2019||FIN 6053||70750||Financial Theory and Corporate Policy|
|Spring 2019||FIN 4763||21450||Financial Futures and Options Markets|
|Fall 2018||BADM 6000||60425||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2018||FIN 5763||60448||Derivative Securities and the Management of Financial Price Risk|
|Spring 2018||FIN 4763||21651||Financial Futures and Options Markets|
|Spring 2018||FIN 4763||21653||Financial Futures and Options Markets|
|Fall 2017||FIN 5763||60498||Derivative Securities and the Management of Financial Price Risk|
|Fall 2017||FIN 6660||60502||Seminar in Finance|
|Spring 2017||FIN 4763||21870||Financial Futures and Options Markets|
|Spring 2017||FIN 4763||21872||Financial Futures and Options Markets|
|Fall 2016||FIN 5763||60546||Derivative Securities and the Management of Financial Price Risk|
|Fall 2016||FIN 6660||60550||Seminar in Finance|
|Spring 2016||FIN 4763||1||FIN FUTURES OPTNS MKT|
|Spring 2016||FIN 4763||2||FIN FUTURES OPTNS MKT|
|Fall 2015||FIN 5763||1||DERIVATIVE SECURITIES|
|Fall 2015||FIN 6660||352||SEMINAR IN FINANCE|
|Spring 2015||FIN 4763||1||FIN FUTURES OPTNS MKT|
|Spring 2015||FIN 4763||2||FIN FUTURES OPTNS MKT|
|Fall 2014||FIN 4763||1||FIN FUTURES OPTNS MKT|
|Fall 2014||FIN 5763||1||DERIVATIVE SECURITIES|