Department of Economics
STILLWATER, OK 74078
BiographyMehtabul Azam's primary research interests are in the area of development and labor. Specific topics that he has examined include teacher quality, returns to language skills, wage inequality, intra-household allocation, and intergenerational mobility. He also has worked on numerous policy issues for The World Bank, International Labor Organization (ILO), and International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). His research has been published or accepted for publication in scholarly journals including Journal of Development Economics, Demography, Economic Development and Cultural Change, World Development, and Journal of Development Studies.
- Ph D, Southern Methodist University, Economics, 2009
- MA, Southern Methodist University, Economics, 2007
- MA, Delhi School of Economics, Economics, 2001
- BA, University of Delhi, India, Economics, 1999
- Mehtabul Azam. "Microeconomic determinants of domestic tourism expenditure in India: Evidence from two-part model". Journal of Economic Insight (Forthcoming).
- Ying-Min Kuo and Mehtabul Azam. "Impacts of Cross-Country Infrastructure on Bilateral Trade: Evidence from New Silk Road Railways". Journal of Economic Insight (Forthcoming).
- Mehtabul Azam and Qinghe Su. "Does access to liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) reduce the household burden of women? Evidence from India". USA: Energy Economics (Forthcoming).
- Mehtabul Azam. (2022). "Household Income Mobility in India, 1993-2011". USA: Review of Development Economics (Forthcoming). (26), 4, 1902-1943.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2020). "Accounting for Differences in Female Labor Force Participation between China and India". The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy . (2), 20, 1-17.
- Mehtabul Azam. "Accounting for growing urban-rural welfare gaps in India". Elsevier : World Development. (122(C)), 410-432.
- Francis N. Makamu, Mehtabul Azam, and Harounan Kazianga. (2018). "Returns to Controlling a Neglected Tropical Disease: Schistosomiasis Control Programme and Education Outcomes in Nigeria". Journal of African Economies.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2017). "Does Social health insurance reduce financial burden? Panel Data Evidence from India". World Development. (102), C, 1-17.
- Mehtabul Azam and Saing Chan. (2017). "Is there really a trade-off? Family Size and Investment in Child Quality in India". The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy.
- Mehtabul Azam and Vipul Bhatt. (2017). "Spatial Income Inequality in India, 1993‐2011: A Decomposition Analysis". Social Indicators Research.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2017). "Explaining Caste Differences in Private School Attendance". Review of Development Economics. (21), 4, 1191-1204.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2016). "Intergenerational Educational Persistence among Daughters: Evidence from India". The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy.
- Chanha Saing and Mehtabul Azam. (2016). "Assessing the Impact of District Primary Education Program in India". Review of Development Economics.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2016). "Income Inequality in India 2004-2012: Role of Alternative Income sources". Economics Bulletin. (36), 2, 1160-1169.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2015). "Impact of Private Secondary Schooling on Cognitive Skills: Evidence from India". Education Economics.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2015). "Intergenerational Occupational Mobility among men in India". Journal of Development Studies. (51), 10, 1389-1408.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2015). "Private Tutoring: Evidence from India". Review of Development Economics.
- Mehtabul Azam and Geeta Kingdon. (2015). "Assessing Teacher Quality in India". Journal of Development Economics. (117), 74-83.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2015). "A Distributional Analysis of Public Private Wage Differential in India". LABOUR: Review of Labour Economics and Industrial Relations. (29), 4, 394-414.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2015). "Like Father, Like Son? Intergenerational Education Mobility in India". Demography. (52), 6, 1929-1959.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2015). "Assessing Teacher Quality in India". Ideas for India.
- Mehtabul Azam and G. Kingdon. (2013). "Are girls the fairer sex in India? Revisiting intra-household allocation of education expenditure". World Development. (42), C, 143-164.
- Mehtabul Azam, M. Ajwad, and C. Ferre. (2013). "Can public works programs mitigate the impact of crises in Europe? The case of Latvia, IZA". Journal of European Labor Studies. (2), 10,
- Mehtabul Azam, Nishith Prakash, and Aimee Chin. (2013). "The Returns to English-Language Skills in India". Economic Development and Cultural Change. (61), 2,
- Mehtabul Azam. (2013). "Does it pay to speak English in India?". Ideas for India.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2012). "A Distributional Analysis of Social Group Inequality in Rural India". Journal of International Development. (24), 4, 415-432.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2012). "Changes in Wage Structure in urban India 1983-2004: A quantile Regression Decomposition". World Development. (40), 6, 1135-1150.
- Mehtabul Azam and Abusaleh Shariff. (2011). "Income Inequality in Rural India: Decomposing the Gini by Income Sources". Economics Bulletin. (31), 1, 739-748.
- Mehtabul Azam. (2010). "India's Rising Skill Premium: Role of Demand and Supply". The Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. (10), 1,
- Mehtabul Azam and Andreas Blom. (2009). "Progress of Participation in Tertiary Education in India from 1993 to 2004,". Journal of Educational Planning and Administration. (XXIII), 2, 125-167.
- Mehtabul Azam, Kin Bing wu, Pete Goldschmidt, and Christy K. Boscardin. (2007). "Girls in India: Poverty, Location, and Social Disparities in M. Lewis and M. Lockheed (eds.), \Exclusion, Gender and Education: Case Studies from the Developing World"". Washington, DC: Center for Global Development.
Awards and Honors
- Research Fellow, Global Labor Organisation (GLO) (2017)
- Research Fellow, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA) (2012)
Contracts, Grants, and Sponsored Research
- Gender Dimensions of Remittances
United Nation Women
November 20 2018 - July 30 2019
- Defining Teacher Quality in India
International Growth Center, London School of Economics
2013 - 2014
Academic, Military, and Professional Positions
- Oklahoma State University, Associate Professor, July 2018
- Oklahoma State University, Assistant Professor, August 2014 - June 2018
- Oklahoma State University, Visiting Assistant Professor, July 2012 - July 2014
- The World Bank, Washington DC, Consultant, May 2009 - July 2012
- Southern Methodist University, Teaching Assistant, August 2005 - May 2009
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Collaborator, November 15 2004 - July 30 2005
- University of Delhi, Lecturer in Economics, October 2001 - November 2004
- ECON 3513 (2 Semesters)
- ECON 4213 (8 Semesters)
- ECON 6000 (15 Semesters)
- ECON 3023 (2 Semesters)
- ECON 3313 (23 Semesters)
- ECON 6623 (1 Semester)
- ECON 6643 (3 Semesters)
- BHON 4990 (1 Semester)
- ECON 5003 (1 Semester)
- ECON 4643 (1 Semester)
- ECON 5643 (1 Semester)
- ECON 2203 (3 Semesters)
|Fall 2022||ECON 3513||68654||Labor Economics|
|Fall 2022||ECON 4213||64318||Econometric Methods|
|Summer 2022||ECON 6000||42767||Research and Thesis|
|Spring 2022||ECON 6000||20646||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2021||ECON 3513||70938||Labor Economics|
|Fall 2021||ECON 4213||64806||Econometric Methods|
|Fall 2021||ECON 6000||60785||Research and Thesis|
|Spring 2021||ECON 3023||25043||Managerial Economics|
|Spring 2021||ECON 3023||30931||Managerial Economics|
|Spring 2021||ECON 3313||20711||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2021||ECON 6000||20720||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2020||ECON 4213||65429||Econometric Methods|
|Fall 2020||ECON 6000||60835||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2020||ECON 6623||69930||Economic Development I|
|Summer 2020||ECON 6000||43991||Research and Thesis|
|Spring 2020||ECON 3313||20821||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2020||ECON 3313||20822||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2020||ECON 6000||20836||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2019||ECON 4213||66372||Econometric Methods|
|Fall 2019||ECON 6000||60929||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2019||ECON 6000||69587||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2019||ECON 6643||70316||Economic Development II|
|Spring 2019||ECON 3313||20931||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2019||ECON 3313||20932||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2019||ECON 6000||20946||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2018||ECON 3313||60994||Money and Banking|
|Fall 2018||ECON 4213||67326||Econometric Methods|
|Fall 2018||ECON 6000||61012||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2018||ECON 6000||71128||Research and Thesis|
|Spring 2018||BHON 4990||30423||Business Honors Thesis|
|Spring 2018||ECON 3313||21085||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2018||ECON 5003||30278||Research Report|
|Spring 2018||ECON 6643||28164||Economic Development II|
|Fall 2017||ECON 3313||61144||Money and Banking|
|Fall 2017||ECON 4213||68829||Econometric Methods|
|Spring 2017||ECON 3313||21193||Money and Banking|
|Spring 2017||ECON 3313||25357||Money and Banking|
|Fall 2016||ECON 3313||61253||Money and Banking|
|Fall 2016||ECON 6000||61283||Research and Thesis|
|Fall 2016||ECON 6643||65850||Economic Development II|
|Spring 2016||ECON 4213||1||ECONOMETRIC METHODS|
|Spring 2016||ECON 4643||1||INTERNATIONAL ECON DEV|
|Spring 2016||ECON 6000||353||RESEARCH & THESIS|
|Fall 2015||ECON 3313||1||MONEY & BANKING|
|Fall 2015||ECON 3313||2||MONEY & BANKING|
|Fall 2015||ECON 6000||353||RESEARCH & THESIS|
|Spring 2015||ECON 3313||1||MONEY & BANKING|
|Spring 2015||ECON 5643||1||ECON DEVELOPMENT II|
|Fall 2014||ECON 3313||1||MONEY & BANKING|
|Fall 2014||ECON 3313||2||MONEY & BANKING|
|Spring 2014||ECON 3313||1||MONEY & BANKING|
|Spring 2014||ECON 3313||2||MONEY & BANKING|
|Spring 2014||ECON 4213||1||ECONOMETRIC METHODS|
|Fall 2013||ECON 3313||1||MONEY & BANKING|
|Fall 2013||ECON 3313||2||MONEY & BANKING|
|Spring 2013||ECON 2203||241||INTRO TO MACRO ECON|
|Spring 2013||ECON 2203||4||INTRO TO MACRO ECON|
|Spring 2013||ECON 2203||5||INTRO TO MACRO ECON|
|Spring 2013||ECON 3313||2||MONEY & BANKING|
|Fall 2012||ECON 3313||1||MONEY & BANKING|
|Fall 2012||ECON 3313||3||MONEY & BANKING|